Ungraceful Moves

Graceful isn't a word I would use to describe much of anything in my life -- running maybe. Never took ballet, never went to finishing school. Haven't done much of the formal and if I have it has been a slip shod, fumbling, bumbling crisis. I like intensity, but finding something to like about this intense moving project is a bit of a challenge. This thing -- this monster of a move requires detailed arrangements. George and I are not good at detailed arrangements. We decided to move on Memorial Day weekend, but we didn't even know it was a holiday when we planned this. Not much looking at calendars around here.  So, it went down. The truck looked like Tom Joad packed it. The house looked like we hadn't really moved out. Our friends have let us crash at their place along with a good deal of our stuff.

Currently, our pitch fork, vacuum cleaner, espresso machine, breast pump, bird feeder, and various food and clothing items are at the Okie's. Our other carseat, dog food, trash can, broom, two miscilaneous boxes, and rake and shovel are at the Creswell's. Our clothes and banjos are at the Taylor's. Our chickens are still at Kentucky Circle. We are scattered. We are here there and everywhere. There is to much here and there. I don't even know where my either pair of my Chacos have landed I do know where my running shoes are and I know where William is and the children. Don't know where deodorant is. Do know where toothbrushes are. Don't know what we are eating for any meal. Don't know how we are sleeping. Don't know if we are going to get to sleep. William dictates that right now. Right now he is asleep and that is good. The children are with grandmother playing sweetly. We've played with lots of family and friends. We've soaked up the kindnesses of everyone we hold dear. We've worked to the bone on the Gainesville house. It looks great. But then I forget I need to change the place where our mail goes and UPS calls with a package and they don't know where to take it. I fill out the form and put the wrong date. There is water and electricity and garbage pick up and this and that.

I've done this all with tears and grumbles and blow ups. I haven't planned well and it makes me feel terribly guilty as a mom and a wife. But we play and we try to find fun adventures and we do. I look forward to home in Florida. This is good practice in enjoying something of the moment, but this is not a graceful move -- perhaps I should take ballet.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Cattle Are Lowing

Love Them. Feed Them. Talk To Them. The Rest Is Icing On The Cake.

Coffee Shop